Tuesday 11 December 2012

Speaking a different English


I have spent about three of the last four years living abroad.  Over the course of two years, I lived in Durban, South Africa for one year, I spent about a year and a half in the pseudo city Zugdidi in the Republic of Georgia and I have been in Jecheon, South Korea for the last four months.  This life abroad has had a great impact on the way I speak.  The places I have lived and the people I spend my time with have altered not just my accent but also the words I choose to use. The most notable influence on my speech comes from South Africa and his name is Blessing.  If we did not travel and live together I might have retained more Americanisms than I have.  My fellow UK, Aussie, and Kiwi (all 3 of them!) English teachers have also (maybe) influenced me, however, the RSA will always be the dominant force in altering my speech. 

Without further ado, here is a list of ways I have adapted my speech:

I no longer have a winter or summer vacation.  Now it’s a holiday.

I often find myself using a bin instead of a trashcan.

I also find that I have rubbish to throw away instead of garbage.

Instead of calling you, I will phone you.

When we part ways I will tell you cheers.

I often respond to something I didn’t know by saying, “is it?”

I will often sound Canadian as I put “hey” at the end of my sentences.

While it is not unheard of to ask, “who are you speaking to?” in the States, it is certainly more common to ask who you are talking to.  These days, however, I am always speaking not talking.

I find myself spelling realize with an s.

I sometimes catch myself referring to fries as chips.

I have given up the USA’s stubborn use of Fahrenheit and miles and now use Celsius and meters.

Instead of going to college, I went to university.

At university I was never a freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior; I was a first, second, third and fourth year.

Instead of asking, “how much money do you have?” I find myself asking, “how much money have you got?”

I often have showers instead of taking them.

Sometimes I will be in the car park instead of the parking lot.

I have heard myself refer to gas as petrol.

Once or twice a flashlight has been called a torch.

A traffic light has been referred to as a robot from time to time.

If I want something from someone, I ask, “How’s the _______.”
            Example:        I want the glass of water in Blessing’s hand
                                    “Blessing, how’s the water?”
                                    He promptly hands me the water.

I will often be somewhere “just now.”

I sometimes say shame to express my sympathy for a crappy situation.

The letter “t” has entered my speech; I no longer use the innernet, rather I use the inTernet. 

My pronunciation of “a” has become much softer and less nasal.

Believe it or not, gas stations have become garages.

Keen has entered my vocabulary for when I want something.


While I have allowed my manner of speaking to change in some respects, there are certain things that I never want to change:

I never want to wear a vest instead of a tank top.

A boot will never be a part of car, nor will a bonnet.

Color will never have a u.

A light bulb will not be a globe.

Jelly will always be something I put on bread.

A tomato will never be a toMAHto. 

The letter “r” will always be strongly pronounced.

Hooting will always be for owls, not cars.

A cell phone will never be a mobile.

3 comments:

  1. That's crazy! I find myself changing a few words from time to time, but nothing as drastic as you've done. In all honesty, I catch myself making mistakes or using words in the way French people learning English do, as if I'm translating from French to English. I always catch myself but it drives me insane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean with speaking english the way the french do, after spending a lot of time speaking english with any non-native English speakers i always end up with a further messed up accent as well as just dumbing down my speaking. so strange the way we are influenced by those around us.

      Delete
  2. Seriously the vest gets me every time, I don't think I will ever properly adjust to it... vest just sounds so much trashier, especially when a man is referring to his undershirt.

    ReplyDelete